If you have a deadline: communicate it EARLY and OFTEN
- Payment is due in full prior to track release.
- 50% non-refundable deposit is required for booking sessions.
- Large blocks of studio time (more than 16hrs) may be booked with a 30% deposit.
- Use of PayPal or Moneybookers payment methods assumes a 3% surcharge (that's what they charge us).
- International payments generally incur a $25 surcharge per transaction. *Negotiable on projects over $1000 USD.
- Payment for your session begins when it was scheduled to start, not
when you arrive or finish setting up. We're usually available 10
minutes prior to your session to allow you time to load-in.
- A $20 returned check fee will be charged for any returned check.
- Unpaid balances will accrue a 1.5% per month finance charge (18% per annum).
- Credit Card payments are limited to payment of one day's session and may not be accepted for out-of-state clients or new clients we have not yet worked with.
- Client is responsible for any collections or attorney's fees Microtone Studios may incur as a result of collection proceedings.
|*** Sessions canceled with less than 24hrs notice may forfeit deposit. ***|
- If you need to cancel your session, please try to give us at least 72hrs notice.
- Allowances are made for acts of God and medical emergencies. We do
not double-book sessions and can't just plug in another artist on a
moment's notice, so we need to recoup expenses via the cancellation
policy when a session is canceled within 24hrs. That being said, we'll
do our best to backfill the session with another artist. If we can,
we'll be happy to work with you on the deposit or hold it for a future
date. This policy is at the owner's discretion.
- Clients are responsible for 75% of the time booked. For example, if
you book an eight hour session you need to work at least six of the
eight hours or pay us the difference.
- When booking or canceling sessions, DO NOT ASSUME the
booking/cancellation is confirmed until you receive confirmation from
someone at Microtone Studios. Email can get lost in SPAM filters and
voicemails aren't 100% guaranteed either. We'll confirm your booking or
cancellation ASAP after receiving your request.
- A Microtone Studios engineer or intern can be available
to assist with setup/strike of your equipment (recommended) upon
request. Please make arrangements ahead of time if possible.
- Setup/teardown are billable time and you should plan for this in
your budget. Be prepared to assist as much as possible during
setup/strike. Often a lot of teardown can be accomplished during edits
or mixdown, so plan ahead to save money.
- Editing/Mixdown are billable time and you should plan for this in
your budget. There's a lot more to a good mix than the time spent
tracking. Editing/Mixdown can sometimes take longer than tracking, and
is quite variable depending on the artist and style. Budget accordingly
and ask as many questions as possible upfront.
- Final mixdowns can be done in any format you choose, but it's all
billable time. You may be better off converting files to .mp3 or .wma
yourself on your own computer from the master .wav files if you're on a
- Help us keep studio costs as low as possible by treating our
equipment as good or better than you would your own. Clients are
responsible for damage to equipment due to misuse or abuse.
- While we have many instruments available, do not assume they will be
available for your session. Make arrangements ahead of time if you
have a particular piece of equipment that you'd like to use for your
- If you would like to use one of our guitars for recording, you need
to arrange it ahead of time and be prepared to change out the strings on
YOUR time, BEFORE the session.
|FILES / STORAGE:|
- Session files will be held on the primary recording
drive until additional space requires it to be transferred to a separate
storage drive. At no point will your files be kept on more than one
drive or for more than 6 months. If you need your data bullet-proofed
and backed-up, bring an external hard drive to each session and we'll be
happy to dump your session to your backup drive at no additional cost
(generally during teardown). TAKE YOUR BACKUPS SERIOUSLY - this is your
Hard-Earned money you're spending on these recordings - your blood,
sweat, tears and dreams, and you want to make sure that nothing can
happen to them. Your data is YOUR responsibility once the session is
- Audio Mixes will be stored online in a password protected directory
for 6 months after your session. Take this time to confirm that there
are no issues with your mixes or data files. After 6 months (or as
storage space is needed), we'll contact you to make arrangements to get
the files to you prior to deleting the files (billable backups).
- Clients are responsible for maintaining copies of their Audio Mixes
after they have received them. We cannot guarantee that your files will
be available for download (or hardcopy) indefinitely.
- Plan ahead - you'll need a file storage/management strategy.
- DVD backups can be purchased in lieu of a hard drive backup. See
the 'Misc.' section of the eCart to purchase DVD backups. We can advise
you on how many to add to your cart based on the size of your project.
Verify all DVDs as we cannot guarantee your files will be available
after 6 months.
- You can plan on 5-15 minutes of time per track for backup. Backups
take time and cost money, but are essential parts of the recording
process and should be done at the end of every session, every time. *** IF YOU DON'T BACKUP AFTER EVERY SESSION, YOU'RE RISKING TOTAL LOSS OF YOUR DATA. DO IT! ***
- Any eqiupment failures or engineering mistakes that lead to loss of
your data after a session is complete are not the responsibility of
Microtone Studios. BACKUP YOUR DATA EVERY TIME.
- No Smoking, Food or Drink in the studios. Beverages are
allowed upstairs and outside only. Smoking is only allowed IN THE
BACK. Please use the ashtrays provided.
- Please don't litter inside or outside. If you use dishes, pitch in and do them when you're done - we'd appreciate it!
- You can bring your own food but it needs to stay in the kitchen or
outside. You're welcome to use the kitchen as needed but please clean
up when you're done.
- Guests are welcome, but it's generally wise to invite only those
people who might really be constructive to your project or otherwise
essential to the recording process. Too many people in the studio is
distracting to the artists and engineers.
- ENJOY YOUR TIME AT MICROTONE STUDIOS.